It was an amazing experience to learn about what there have been many kind people doing great things for seniors in Oregon. Everyone is very nice, and I hope I get to be a little helpful.
1. I met Paula today and introduced myself. We had a good conversation and learned many interesting facts about each other.
2. This morning I got to meet with another PSU IELP student. Her name is Hirari, and she is an exchange student from Japan. We went to an event held by the CHAI community. It was an event where they gave us the chance to make our hummus using the fresh ingredients. The conversation went really well, and I think we both had a great time.
3. [11/15 3:20-5:00]
Paula and I met up again yesterday at my house. I introduce her to my roommates. We watched TV and talked about how we have been for the past week. Also, we invited her to our friends giving on the 24th. It was nice to see her again!
3. November 24th, 6:00-8:00 pm Paula came to join us for a friend gathering in my house. I introduced her to some of my friends and we had good food from all over the world. She brought us a pumpkin pie too! We had a blast and I am happy that she got to come.
4. October 16, 2020 [1:30-2:30 pm] - I met with Hidemi via Zoom for our first session. We exchanged our basic information earlier the week and started getting to know each other a little bit. She also recommended 鬼滅の刃（きめつのやいば): this animation to me! Nice person! We are hoping to meet up one day when she comes back to Portland from Arizona!
5. 10/23/2020 [1:00-2:00 pm] Today, I met with Hidemi again via zoom! She is now back in Portland. We talked about all kinds of things and our plans for the term. She recommended to me some Japanese restaurants in the area. I am excited to try them out and maybe go to some with her!
6. 10/30/2020 [10:30-11:30 am] via Zoom. I went to the Japanese restaurant which Hidemi recommended to me last week! It was amazing! The prices were great and the dishes had very high quality. Today, we talked about how our week has been and our plans for the weekend. We might meet up very later this weekend to meet with her friends from Japan. Look forward to our next session!
7. 11/08/2020 [1:00-2:30 pm], we finally get to meet with each other today at the Duck House. Hidemi introduced me to her two co-workers from Japan who used to work in Taiwan. We had good conversations and got to know each other a little more. The food was great and everyone enjoyed it. After lunch, we went to get salt and straw on the 23rd. Thanks for the beautiful weather!
8. [01/25/2021] Mon 6:30-7:30 pm] Makoto is a student-athlete who plays tennis for the school. It was really a surprise for me since I also play golf for PSU. This is her first time studying in the States so there are many things that she is trying to get used to now. For this term, she is taking 5 classes. We talked about our favorite things such as food and places. I am excited to see her next week!
9. [2/01/2021 Mon 6:30-7:30 pm] I met with Mako again today. She told me about her new friends and how she went with them to get brunch this past weekend! This week on Friday, she will go to the 0University of Oregon to play for her first college match. How excited!!
10. [2/07/2021 Sunday 1:00-2:30 pm] Mako just got back to the campus from her match at U of O. We went to get boba tea today and talked about her game this weekend. I also had the chance to introduce her to some buildings on the campus. We planned to meet again soon after my ACL surgery!
11. [2/15/2021 Monday 6:30 - 7:30 pm] We finally meet again after my ACL surgery last Friday. It was nice seeing her face and laughing together. Due to the snow, she was not able to practice for the last couple of days, but she will start practicing again tomorrow.
12. [3/01/2021] Monday 6:30 - 7:30pm] Mako just finished her match with University of Portland, they are the first team in PSU to beat a UP team!! How excited!! We talked about how things are going for her and if she is ready for her finals. We also decided that this will be our official last meeting since we will have finals and practices for the next couple weeks until the spring term. It has been a great time meeting and talking with her. We might still meet up before the end of term and hangout sometimes as well.
Didn't get a chance to come last time with the team. Happy and appreciate to be here this time!
It was fun spending time with the little girls and shared our experience with sports!
We were here last here and was so happy to have to chance to participate in this special event again this year.
It was a great opportunity for me to join the Portland State booth in My People’s Market! The coordinator was really nice and help us to get involved in the event. While presenting PSU, I also learned more about the program and got to with with the past alumni who came to the market:)
PSU food pantry is a wonderful resource for all the students who enroll in the current school year, and a place where I have always wanted to know more about. Today we unloaded food for two days and set them on the shelf to get ready for students coming to shop today. The environment in the pantry was really friendly and everyone who works there treats us kindly. It was the first time for me to know how there are so many things, including budgeting, food run, and schedule, to plan for the opening every weekday.
2. 11/13 [9:15-11:15 am] Because of a meeting I have on Friday, I changed the schedule to come in on Wednesday. It’s another day with a pretty big load of stocks. I felt like getting more and more evolve in interacting with other volunteers, and can actually know what to help with. There is a parent with a child who came in and I was so happy to see that PSU has provided such a good resource for those students who are deeply in need!
Looking forward to my next volunteering!
3. 11/22/2019 [9:30-11:30am]
It's a week before Thanksgiving, so we got a lot of donations such as pies, stuffings, jams, and potatoes. Since I have been volunteering on Wednesdays, it was fun working in the pantry today with a different team who are also really nice. We took appointments today after stocking the food on the shelves as well! Also, there is a volunteer retreat party later today which is really nice of them to that too.
The pantry will not open next week so I will be back the week after.
4. It's my fourth time volunteering here and I still like it so much to work with all the people here! Today we got a smaller load than all my previous ones so it did not cost us to much time to complete the unloading process. However, we did have egg duty for today but we made a good team and utilize station work to get the work done efficiently. We also repacked all the beans and chocolate chips that came in huge bags. Overall, we had a great time talking to each other. Looking forward to coming back again next week before the break!
5. Last volunteering before the break! Since the pantry will not open next week, we did not get a delivery from the food bank today. However, we still got some donations from Green Zebra. Also, we sorted the big bag of rice and repackaged it to smaller bags so that more customers(students) could have it. During volunteering today, I learned about how the Capstone, Food & Society is about and found it interesting. Hope to come back again next term!