Strengthen your resume and demonstrate to employers your skills at applying tax law, using tax software and working with customers to complete accurate tax returns. Free training is provided by United Way to help you complete the IRS certification required to become a volunteer. This internship is an excellent opportunity to learn about the United Way of Central Alabama and work with a nationwide program: the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA), all while making a difference in our community.
United Way Free Tax Preparation works closely with the Internal Revenue Service and other qualified partners to provide free income tax preparation to individuals earning $54,000 or less. Tax returns are prepared by IRS Certified Preparers and filed online through secure IRS systems. The Free Tax Preparation Intern will be responsible for serving as a Volunteer Tax Preparer.
In response to COVID-19, volunteer training will be provided online. Customer appointments will be mostly by telephone with customers submitting their documentation online with a limited number of socially distanced appointments for customers who lack technology to use the online process. Volunteers will work at the United Way of Central Alabama offices, with social distancing measures in place to protect safety of volunteers.
Main responsibilities include the following:
· Complete free IRS training and certification to become an IRS Certified Preparer and prepare taxes for customers from our community
- Work as part of a team with existing staff
- Assist Free Tax Preparation staff at various outreach events in the community
The ideal candidate is comfortable interacting with customers (in-person and on the phone) and interested in learning about tax preparation. Some helpful skills include the following:
· Business, Accounting, or similar interest
· Great communication skills, including being a good listener
· Ability to work as part of a team
· Passion for helping the community